Stu's educational background is varied as is his teaching and research career. After graduating UC San Diego with a degree in Philosophy (minors in Physical Education, Chemistry and Biology), he taught chemistry in Ghana, West Africa. He then got his Ph.D. at the University of Oregon (go Ducks) where he researched fish neuroendocrinology. He taught Human Physiology and Cell Biology at U of O for two years as a Visiting Professor before doing postdoctoral research at UC San Diego where he studied the development of taste systems in aquatic salamanders. Stu then accepted a teaching position at The Evergreen State College where he was exposed to a variety of pedagogical approaches. His six years at Evergreen greatly shaped the way he approaches his teaching which is holistic with a social justice perspective. He deals with students as individual taking into consideration their educational background, culture and personal narrative.
- Ph.D. University of Oregon, Neurobiology. 1994
- B.A. University of California, San Diego. Philosophy. 1986
- Matz, S.P. and R.G. Northcutt (1999) Pharyngeal Endoderm, Not Chordamesoderm, Induces Epibranchial Placodes in Axolotls to Form Neurons. Soc. for Neurosci. Abstracts. 25: 1990.
- Matz, S.P. and G.T. Hofeldt (1999) Immunohistochemical Localization of Corticotropin-Releasing Factor and Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone in the Brain and Pituitary of Chinook Salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha). General and Comparative Endocrinology. 114: 151-160.
- Matz, S.P. and R.G. Northcutt (1997) Neurogenic Placodes in Axolotls Arise From an Ectodermal Field Immediately Adjacent to Neural Crest. Soc. for Neurosci. Abstracts. 23:1990
- Matz, S.P. and R.G. Northcutt (1996) Immunocytochemical Localization of cGnRH-II and sGnRH in the Nervous System of Zebrafish, Danio rerio. Soc. for Neurosci. Abstracts. 22:135
- Matz, S.P. (1995) Connections of the Olfactory Bulb in Chinook Salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha). Brain, Behavior and Evolution. 46:108-120
- Hofeldt, G.T., S.P. Matz and T.T. Takahashi (1994) Corticotropin-Releasing Factor-Like Immunoreactivity in the Brain and Pituitary of Chinook Salmon. Soc. for Neurosci. Abstracts. 20:945
- Matz, S.P, G.T. Hofeldt, and T.T. Takahashi (1994) Connections of the Olfactory Bulb in the Chinook Salmon. Chemical Senses Abstracts. 19(5):514
- Matz, S.P. and T.T. Takahashi (1994) Immunohistochemical Localization of Thyrotropin-Releasing Hormone in the Brain of Chinook Salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha). Journal of Comparative Neurology. 345:214-233.
- Matz, S. (1992) Distribution of Secondary Olfactory Fibers in the Chinook Salmon. Soc. for Neuroscience Abstracts. 18:327
- Matz, S. and T.T. Takahashi (1991) Localization of Thyrotropin-Releasing Hormone-Like Immunoreactivity in the Chinook Salmon. Soc. for Neuroscience Abstracts. 17:320