My work as a researcher focuses on the role of nutrition in prevention and management of chronic disease, particularly use of phytochemicals as therapeutic interventions for chronic diseases such as asthma, cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
Many of my publications have emphasized that sex, socioeconomic status, and individual habits and attitudes should be taken into account when translating scientific evidence into practical applications.
I have worked as a hospital clinical dietitian and as a consultant developing programs and training health educators to provide counseling on diabetes and weight management.
PhD University of California, Davis 2006
As faculty advisor for research thesis students and building on my experience as a reviewer for research articles and abstracts I enjoy supporting students who are involved in research to communicate their work through abstracts, papers, and oral presentations.
I believe that teaching and research provide opportunities for rewarding discoveries. I hope to encourage and support a fascination for continued inquiry and exploration.
One current project is a student-faculty collaboration of manuscript preparation of a five year study that compares student knowledge about diabetes and confidence in describing and identifying elements of diabetes management before and after completing a Bastyr University diabetes-focused course.
As a member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Scientific Integrity Principles (SIP) Committee we are developing a research spotlight series to promote understanding and application of SIP for registered dietitian nutritionists as well as students in Dietetic Internships and Didactic Programs in Dietetics
Awards and Recognitions
- Institute of Food Technologists Service Award 2019
- Pacific Science Center Science Communication Fellow 2018 to present
- Fellow of The Obesity Society 2015 to present
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Member
- Association of Diabetes Care & Education Specialists, Member
- American College of Sports Medicine, Certified
- American Diabetes Association, Member
- American Society for Nutrition, Member
- Commission on Dietetic Registration, Certified
- Institute of Food Technologists, Member
- National Certification Board for Diabetes Educators, Certified
- The Obesity Society, Fellow
- Washington Association of Diabetes Educators, Member